WELCOME TO UNION GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
HISTORY OF UNION GROVE MISSIONARY BAPTIST CHURCH
(1915 - 2007)
In 1915, the foundation of what was to become Union Grove Missionary Baptist Church was laid through the banding of a small group of families for the purpose of prayer services. As they sought to uplift the name of the Lord in song and prayer in a small three room house on Broad Street, their numbers grew and in 1917 they formally organized as Sunrise Union under the leadership of Rev. McClain.
While under the leadership of Rev. McClain, the Sunrise Union was blessed with continual growth necessitation a larger place for worship and fellowship. Thus what may be termed as Union Grove's first expansion, occurred by a move to a little store front building on Twenty-Eight and Williams Street.
During the years at Twenty-Eight and Williams Street, the church became known as Union Grove. It was officially organized as a Missionary Baptist Church under this name during the pastorate of Rev. Fuller. The church had a total of eight pastors while at the 28th street location. They were as follows:
1. Reverend McClain
2. Reverend Butler
3. Reverend Fuller
4. Reverend Smith
5. Reverend Milner
6. Reverend Spears
7. Reverend Grady
8. Reverend H. J. Lanier
REEREND H. J. LANIER
Reverend H. J. Lanier came to Union Grove in 1943 and within 12 years it became necessary to secure a sanctuary with more room to meet the needs o the congregation. In 1955, on the second Sunday in August, the church moved to its present location at 4100 Highland Avenue. Union Grove continued to be blessed under the leadership of Reverend Lanier. After 20 years, Reverend Lanier accepted the call to pastor in Dayton, Ohio.
REVEREND J. L. TUCKER
The church was without a pastor for only a brief period of time until Reverend J. L. Tucker accepted the call to pastor our church in October, 1963. Under the leadership of Reverend Tucker, the church grew. Growth was achieved through baptism, Christian experience and restoration.
Under the leadership of Pastor Tucker, construction of an educational building was proposed and accepted by the church with the creation of a special building fund. On December 17, 1970, the church was badly burned and services were moved to the auditorium of Alton Park Junior High School. Through quick action by the pastor and deacons, repairs were made and services resumed at the church. Reverend Tucker pastored Union Grove from October 1963 to July 1972 when he resigned.
REVEREND W. D. CLARK
In October 1972, Pastor Clark and his family accepted the call to Union Grove Missionary Baptist Church. Reverend Clark formally pastored First Baptist Church of Lookout Mountain. The family members are Pastor W. D. Clark, Sister Callie J. Clark, their children Deborah, Cynthia, Anthony and Vincent.
Under Pastor Clark's leadership, Union Grove has been blessed to become a church where Christian education is valued. Pastor Clark began by establishing a Tuesday night Bible study class. This class was later moved to Wednesday nights with separate classes for men, women, and young people. The men's class was taught by Pastor Clark, and the women's classes were taught by Sister Callie J. Clark.
In addition to the Bile study classes, a new member's class was added to the Sunday School; emergency medical technicians organized; a new church bus was purchased; parking area completed across from the church; Mass Choirs recorded two successful albums; and numerous souls were added to the fold.
REVEREND G. P. TAYLOR
In October of 2008 on the second Sunday, and after much prayer, Union Grove was lead to receive Reverend Glenn Philip Taylor to succeed the illustrious leadership and ministry of Pastor Clark who had retired for health reasons. So we continue to move in the direction dictated by the Holy Spirit..